This online course combines essential aspects that every officer of the watch should know, with practical onboard scenarios. Furthermore, it focuses on refreshing necessary knowledge to ensure safe navigation and give every officer the ability to identify and judge related situations accurately.
While the rapid advancement of the navigational equipment continuously improves the overall safety, bridge officers face a new kind of challenge. The latest technological shifts often lead to over-reliance on machines and the classical navigation moves out of focus. Combined with the complexity of the equipment interface, it is becoming increasingly clear that watchkeeping officers must be able to practice classical concepts in conjunction with modern-day technology.
This course is ideal for
- Cadets who will benefit from combining their theoretical knowledge with practical, real-life scenarios.
- Officers who will refresh their knowledge and stay up to date with modern navigation.
- Experience Captains who will get a fresh view on how to combine classical navigation with modern-day technology.
Basic nautical knowledge is the only prerequisite for this course. We strongly recommend completing the course Safe Navigation in Confined Waters to have a complete overview of this topic.
Module 1: Basics Mathematics in Navigation
• One by sixty rule
• Vector Calculation for Set and Drift
• Time Zones and Conversions
Module 2: Lines and Coordinates on the Earth’s surface
• Great Circle and Rhumb Line
• Difference of Latitude and Longitude
• Magnetic North and True North
• Chart Projections and Chart Scales
• Buoys and Beacons
• Cardinal Marks
Module 3: ECDIS Mindset
• Dangers of Chart Scaling and SCAMIN
• Isolated Danger Marks
• Manual Chart Updates vs User Chart Objects
- Certificate Validity: Indefinite
- Course Language: English
- Course Duration: Approx. 1hr 15 min
- Course Access: 3 months
- Price excl. VAT: 60,00 €